Founded in 2008, Preemptive Love Coalition exists to go where no one else will go, to love the people no one else will love; to begin the end of violence; to bring about the more beautiful world our hearts know is possible.
We do this by providing emergency relief and investing in long-term economic development for communities caught in conflict. We pursue peace and reconciliation around the world, on the frontlines right where we live, through local chapter-based giving communities.
Reporting to the Vice President, the Director of Development serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting Preemptive Love Coalition. In partnership with the leadership team, you are responsible for all fundraising and development activities. You will help forge new relationships to build Preemptive Love Coalition’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The Director of Development will also design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external partnerships by cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
The Director of Development will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow a $10M+ budget through the solicitation of major gifts, grassroots digital campaigns, special events, and corporate and foundation support.
You will expand and diversify Preemptive Love Coalition’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives.
We expect to increase the amount we raise each year as the Director of Development systematically and effectively strengthens the organization’s overall fundraising capacity.
Strategy and Administration
- Lead the fund development program of Preemptive Love Coalition including individuals (grassroots, monthly sponsors, and major donors), businesses, religious institutions, foundations and other organizations. Set annual and multi-year strategy and manage fundraising staff toward goals you set with senior leadership for fund development.
- Development goals will be decided at the beginning of the calendar/fiscal year and will be reviewed quarterly and adjusted as necessary to ensure we deliver on our commitments and targets.
- Set and achieve donor acquisition and retention goals through strategy, execution, coaching, employee engagement, and quantitative and qualitative means of measure
- Responsible for developing and adhering to a regular reporting structure to ensure visibility of all development team objectives on a regular and ongoing basis
Team Management and Execution
- Develop and manage implementation of fundraising campaigns to support programming activity.
- Direct the production of appeals and events for online, email, direct mail and in-person activities
- Use CRM platform (Salesforce) to manage and measure development progress and ensure proper collection, analysis, and use of donor information
- Oversee grant writing team and all processes including research, proposals, applications, communication, follow up and impact reporting in the Grant Management Lifecycle
- Coordinate with Digital and Comms Directors to create and execute inbound marketing/fundraising efforts.
- Identify, cultivate, recruit and mentor development team members and volunteers
Major Gifts Development
- Lead our Major Gifts efforts (in PLC ecosystem that is currently $10,000+ gifts), researching, cultivating and graduating current donors and recruiting new major donors into the $10,000+ gift range.
- Lead the team to getting more of our mid-level donors ($5,000-9,999) into the Major Gift category
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s preferred
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- 5-10 years experience in fundraising leadership
- Ability to lead a highly relational, customer (donor) focused approach to fundraising
- Passion for the vision, values, work, and culture of Preemptive Love Coalition
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with ability to represent PLC to various, diverse constituencies
- Proven track record working with little oversight, is self-motivated, maintains a positive attitude
- Proven grit—ability to stay the course when things get hard
- Excellent coaching skills and track record of success leading teams
- Strong work-ethic, with the ability to work and be managed remotely
- Flexible writing style as platforms will vary
- Ability to function in a digital environment for collaboration, management, and communication
- Ability to remain flexible and agile in a growing environment
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
- Ability to prioritize tasks and goals when the needs frequently outstrip the capacity